|Key stats worth increasing through nature if possible.|
|Complementary stats that matter, but not to the point of picking them over key stats for nature increase.|
|Relatively worthless stat that can safely be decreased through nature.|
+Speed is her best boon as it massively improves her sweeping potential. Going from base 31 to 34 speed is huge and is absolutely necessary to make the most use out of her tome in conjunction with Speed boost.
Outside of Speed, both Attack and Res boon are not bad as they improve either her strong offensive firepower or her blue mages baiting potential
Def is her weakest stats and won't harm her much with a Bane.
|Dark Excalibur||A||Fury 3|
|Reposition||B||G Tomebreaker 3|
|Moonbow||C||Res Ploy 3|
- Weapon: Dark Excalibur
- Assist: Reposition / Draw Back / Ardent Sacrice
- Special: Moonbow / Iceberg
- A slot: Fury / Mirror Strike / Darting Blow / Distant Defense
- B slot: Green Tomebreaker / Desperation / Quick Riposte / Escape Route
- C slot: Varies on team
- Sacred Seal: Quickened Pulse / Distant Defense
- Bane / Boon: +Spd -Def
This set aims to make the most out of her natural skillset which is already fantastic. The purpose of this build is to use Dark Excalibur passive in conjunction with Moonbow to deal damage, while relying on Fury for tankiness against blue mages and Green Tomebreaker to outduel her fellows Green mages
Outside of the common positioning assist, Ardent Sacrifice can be used to help her get to Desperation's range. 1 Ardent Sacrifice is enough to get Sonya to sub-75% hp range regardless of boon/bane.
Moonbow is default and goes great with Dark Excalibur. If players prefer a more damaging special with a bit higher charge, then Iceberg can be considered. Often time this is unnecessary as Moonbow with her tome is already enough for damaging purpose, but Iceberg can helps kill some matchups with particularly high Res in extreme cases.
Aside of Fury, players can keep her default Mirror Strike. It functions the same as a Death Blow 2 which is good, while also allow her to safely attack into mages or dragons and take lower damage. Darting Blow is a budget option if players want to ensure her to double her foes on initiation.
Although it is not a budget option, it is worth mentioning that Sonya is a great user of Distant Def, particularly in conjunction with Green Tomebreaker it makes her a fantastic green/blue mages bait and KO them with Moonbow/Iceberg charged.
Sonya can run either Blue Tomebreaker, Quick Riposte or Green Tomebreaker. B Tomebreaker is mostly for units like Olwen, Delthea or Linde, who can survive her on top of Defensive Tiles or buffs but normally a fully charged special of her will kill them anyway; while Green Tomebreaker is for enemies' Sonya, Julia and Nino.
Quick Riposte does the same for both without the added benefits of preventing double, which might be huge for Nino/Linde matchups while Desperations allow +speed Sonya to remain fairly useful at low hp against lower speed units.
Last but not least, Escape Route combo well with Fury and can turn her into a strong sniper once her health drops below 50% with her powerful special.
Quickened Pulse has great synergy with her kit, allowing her to fire the first special during her first engagements for quick initial burst of damage. If not going with Quickened Pulse, Distant Defense is great on her to bait mages.
Budget: Dark Excalibur
|A||Swift Sparrow 2
Budget: Life and Death 2
|Ardent Sacrifice||B||Desperation 3|
|C||Res Ploy 3|
- Weapon: Gronnblade / Dark Excalibur
- Assist: Ardent Sacrifice / Reciprocal Aid
- Special: Draconic Aura / Moonbow
- A slot: Swift Sparrow / Life and Death / Fury
- B slot: Desperation
- C slot: Varies on team
- Sacred Seal: Quickened Pulse / Spd+1
- Bane / Boon: +Spd -Def
Sonya is abit worse than Soren and especially Nino at running Blade Tome build. However, even when not using Blade Tome, she can still perfectly fill the glass cannon role with Dark Excalibur, thanks to the power of said tome.
Draconic Aura is good with Blade Tome, due to the massive increase in attack through buffs, while Moonbow is preferable with Dark Excalibur to make use of its passive.
After one Ardent Sacrifice, Sonya is ready to sweep. Reciprocal Aid can be used as an alternatives, although her poor HP pool make it less desirable.
Swift Sparrow is the best A slot for Sonya, as it does not hamper her tanking potential, which might be necessary in some case. Life and Death and Fury are decent alternatives for A slot, depending on the playstyle of the players.
Grants +10 to damage when Special triggers.
Resolve combat as if foe suffered Def/Res-30%
Resolve combat as if foe suffered Def/Res-30%.
Grants Res+2 during combat if unit initiates the attack.
Grants Atk/Res+2 during combat if unit initiates combat.
Grants Atk/Res +4 during combat if unit initiates attack.
At start of turn, all foes in cardinal directions with Res 1 or more lower than unit suffer Res-3 until the end of foe's next action.
At start of turn, all foes in cardinal directions with Res 1 or more lower than unit suffer Res-4 until the end of foe's next action.
At start of turn, all foes in cardinal directions with Res 1 or more lower than unit suffer Res-5 until the end of foe's next action.
Sonya is a green mage with fantastic offensive presence and high Resistance. Her strongly optimized stats with a powerful legendary tome in Dark Excalibur make her one of the best Green mages in the game, alongside Nino, Soren and Julia.
While having less offensive power like Nino, Sonya is not reliant on buffers, while also have better magical bulk against high damage blue threats like Reinhardt or Olwen. Compared to Julia, she has better offense thanks to her speed and Dark Excalibur effect, while sacrificing 2 point of Resistance from Naga's passive.
Due to her stats spread, she is better built as either a balanced mage that can take magical hits, or as an all-out glass cannon if she manages to get a +Speed boon. She is not as good at being a Raven Tome user as someone like Spring Camilla, Merric, Boey or Female Robin, and thus should not be prioritized for such role.
All in all, Sonya is a powerful addition to any team, and either with her own default tome or with Gronnblade, she'll be quite effective at what she is supposed to do.
Strong offensive presence:
- 33 attack, 31 speed and Dark Excalibur makes her a fantastic glass cannon while being more independent than traditional Blade tome users like Nino or Soren
Great magical bulk:
- 32 Resistance makes her a great check against blue mages such as Reinhardt or Linde
- While she is worse than Julia at the job due to lower Res from lacking Naga's passive, it is enough for her to go for more offensive build while still capable of doing the job well
Requires low investment to be good:
- Sonya came with Dark Excalibur, Mirror Strike and Moonbow ready, which are all fantastic base skills
- Dark Excalibur and Moonbow also have great synergy with each other, allowing her to be strong out of the box or with minimal inheritances.
Poor physical bulk:
- 15 base Def with 36 hp make her squishy against most physical units, particularly colorless and red units
- Sonya struggles the most against red physical units that can take a hit from her and hit back. Ryoma, Xander, Ike or Distant Counter Zephiel are some great examples.
- She also does not fare too well against red units with high resistance, particularly red mages or dragons such as Sanaki, Lilina, Young Tiki, Sophia, Katarina, Leo or Celica
- High damage physical colorless units, for example Bridal Cordelia and Kagero, can kill her quite easily due to her poor Defense