|Key stats worth increasing through nature if possible.|
|Complementary stats that matter, but not to the point of picking them over key stats for nature increase.|
|Relatively worthless stat that can safely be decreased through nature.|
Frederick’s Brave Axe set leaves little to the imagination. An attack boon is naturally his best choice, with defense coming in second, as it boosts his Bonfire/Ignis damage. Frederick’s HP is also fairly neutral, and can be reduced safely. But where he most wants a bane is in speed and resistance, the two stats that are already nearly non-existent.
|Brave Axe+||A||Death Blow 3|
Frederick's best set is a standard Brave Axe build with little deviations from the norm. Death Blow and the Attack+3 seal grant him +18 damage when attacking, significantly boosting his power. Drag Back lets Frederick position himself better after attacking, and both Reposition and Hone Cavalry are there to support his allies. The only real variation in this build is on his special. Bonfire is the best choice, as he can activate it in two attacking rounds. Ignis is much stronger, but requires a Quickened Pulse seal to be usable, which means he must sacrifice three attack.
Budget: Slaying Hammer+ (+Spd)
|Reposition||B||Quick Riposte 3|
|C||Threaten Atk 3|
|SP||1,935||S||Close Def 3|
Frederick can also be built into a tank, but keep in mind that this role is handled much better by units such as Amelia, Minerva, Hector, Brave Ike and Dorcas. Quick Riposte and a Slaying Axe gives him the ability to activate Bonfire every turn he is attacked. If you lack a Slaying Axe, He can make use of his natural weapon, but he will need the Quickened Pulse seal to procure his special on the first combat round. Unlike his Brave Axe set, a speed boon is recommended, to bring it up to a very respectable 35. This stops many foes from double attacking him, and lets him muscle through some red units that would normally double attack and KO him, such as Ryoma, Eliwood and Brave Roy.
|Slaying Hammer+Effective against armored units.||300||1||14|
|Slaying Hammer+ (+Eff) Effective against armored foes. If in combat against an armored foe, nullifies foe's bonuses (from skills like Fortify, Rally, etc.) during combat.||+3||350||1||14|
|Slaying Hammer+ (+Atk) Effective against armored units.||+5||350||1||16|
|Slaying Hammer+ (+Res) +4 Effective against armored units.||+5||350||1||14|
|Slaying Hammer+ (+Def) +4 Effective against armored units.||+5||350||1||14|
|Slaying Hammer+ (+Spd) +3Effective against armored units.||+5||350||1||14|
Wings of Mercy 1Enables unit to warp adjacent to any ally with HP ≤ 30%.
Unlocks at 3 ★
Wings of Mercy 2Enables unit to warp adjacent to any ally with HP ≤ 40%.
Unlocks at 4 ★
Wings of Mercy 3Enables unit to warp adjacent to any ally with HP ≤ 50%.
Unlocks at 5 ★
|Fortify Def 1Grants adjacent allies Def+2 through their next actions at the start of each turn.||50||
Fortify Def 2Grants adjacent allies Def+3 through their next actions at the start of each turn.
Unlocks at 3 ★
Fortify Def 3Grants adjacent allies Def+4 through their next actions at the start of each turn.
Unlocks at 4 ★
- Great attack and physical defense.
- Mobile unit with access to cavalry buffs.
- Low speed and resistance.
- Can’t deal with important threats.
Frederick is a green cavalry unit who comes wielding axes. He has excellent attack and defense stats, which shoes him into his best role: All-out attacker. Often considered to be “Cherche on a horse” Frederick’s Brave Axe set rivals hers in power and utility, thanks to his boosted movement. While he can attack freely, his low speed and resistance leave him vulnerable to many types of units, and betray his fantastic physical bulk.
Great attack and physical defense.
- Looking at Frederick’s statline, one’s eyes can’t help but jump to his awesome attack and defense stats. A massive 35 base attack gives his Brave Axe build some real power, allowing him to muscle through foes in a similar fashion to Cherche, with only three less attack than her. His defense is also great for an offensive unit, combined with 43 health make hard to KO for units that can double him. High defense gives Frederick the option to use incredibly powerful Bonfire and Ignis specials.
Mobile unit with access to cavalry buffs.
- For offensive units movement is everything, as the bigger your movement range, the more freedom you have to attack targets. Thanks to being a Cavalry unit, Frederick can move three spaces, giving him a solid advantage over his Infantry counterparts. Access to Cavalry buffs isn’t the biggest gamechanger for Frederick, but helps nonetheless, and means he himself can support some of the deadliest offensive units in the game.
Low speed and resistance.
- Frederick’s statline leaves his speed and resistance lacking, at 25 and 14 respectively. His speed is admittedly workable considering he gets four from a boon, but since his best build is Brave Axe, his speed becomes an awful 20 or less. At this level even slow units can double and KO Frederick. His nearly nonexistent resistance means even blue mages destroy him. He’s also vulnerable to all Stat Ploy skill users.
Can’t deal with important threats.
- For each colour of unit, there are expectations as to what they can achieve. The very basic one is being able to handle units of the colour you are strong against. Thanks to his low resistance, he finds it hard to defeat units such as Reinhardt, Linde, Delthea and Lute. Handling blue mages is one of the most important roles for a green unit, which is why Distant Counter builds are mostly seen on green units, such as Camilla, Titania, Amelia, Hector and Brave Ike. This puts a lot of strain on Frederick’s teammates, who have to pick up the slack from his poor matchups.
Frederick is very strong when attacking, but if he fails to get the KO, he is easy to revenge kill thanks to his low speed and resistance. Mages of all colours, and even healers with Wrathful Staff can make short work of Frederick due to his low resistance. Dragons with their magical damage can also defeat him, and both Nowi and Corrin(F) run Steady Breath to survive his damage. His speed is so low that most Brave Bow archers can quad-attack and KO him. With a Bonfire or Ignis charged Frederick is extremely dangerous and can punch through many units that could usually tank him, such as Hector. However, red units with high defense such as Ike, Ayra, the Black Knight and Arden will be able to survive and eliminate him in turn.